Troy and Roland were in a bit of a rush on Thursday so there was only 20 minutes of recording. In addition to the US election, which Roland is obsessed with, Troy discusses the student election broadsheet and the blackout in South Australia. Continue reading “The Quenda Files: US Presidential Debate”
After we were bragging last week about how much better podcasters we had become, somehow we activated Siri mid discussion and stuffed up the file export to lose the last 5 minutes of the podcast, which is probably for the best because we were padding for time after a super uneventful week of politics.
- 0:30 Updating the acts that govern Western Australian universities
- 7:36 Senate is doing nothing
- 9:45 “Plebishite” Trademarked to Troy
- 16:40 Howard: Gender equity will never happen in parliament.
- 18:00 Except it’s already the case in the Northern Territory election.
- 19:00 And now we’re talking about NSW local elections.
- 19:30 All hail Clover Moore.
- 21:30 Student election season begins in the lesser WA unis.
- 24:00 iPhone 7 announced.
- 24:48 Podcast cuts out!!!
Troy and Roland ramble on about yesterday’s news including the Fremantle firework ban, systemic racism, staff strikes and fossil fuel divestment. Practice makes perfect as most of last week’s technical blips are ironed out and the volume tends to be more even too! We even wrote a few notes down to plan what were going to say but quickly lost them.
What do you want us to talk about? Do you want to come on the show and tell us we’re wrong? Leave a comment below.
- 0:45 Fremantle Australia Day fireworks cancelled.
- 4:15 Kalgoorlie riots after death of Aboriginal child.
- 6:20 Calls to release the footage of Aboriginal woman’s death in custody.
- 8:00 This is what systematic/systemic/structural racism is.
- 9:45 Barnett’s leadership woes.
- 11:00 Implied structural sexism in Liberal party.
- 11:25 Tavern smoking ban.
- 13:15 Rumour: Flipped classroom comes to Murdoch.
- 16:30 Staff union votes to consider industrial action.
- 20:00 Student elections are on!
- 21:00 The fine detail we neglected to check (positions are the new structure!)
- 22:00 Troy’s experience on the uni senate.
- 24:00 Dovetail into divesting from fossil fuels.
- 26:30 China halts new coal mines.
- 28:00 Sam Dastyari, corrupt, treasonous, or both?
- 29:40 Government loses control of house of representatives.
- 33:00 And now we’re just bitching out young libs/ALP youth.
- 34:00 Troy confirms existence of Young Nationals.
- 35:00 R U OK? Day coming to campus.
Welcome to our first attempt at a weekly podcast discussing the last week of news and politics. Troy and I sat down to ramble on but both of us had been watching too much Olympics to provide any well thought out opinions. Next week will be better researched we promise. Also apologies over the sound quality, expect a few glitches, we’re very new to this.
Leave feedback and suggestions, positive and negative, in the comments. Anyone who wants to design a Quenda Files logo is welcome to do so.
iTunes subscription coming soon. But for those of you who are more tech savvy, the RSS link is here.
- 1:00 Nauru Files
- 8:00 New biodiversity laws are crap
- 12:30 Inexplicable volume increase (we’re still learning, sorry)
- 13:30 Guess who’s back
- 14:30 Like
- 14:30 Like
- 16:30 Cynicism burnout
- 16:40 Background buzzing
- 17:30 Upcoming events